FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
Austin, Texas - SXSW - 03/19/2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> That Side of the Floor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soultosqueeze191
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Austin, Texas - SXSW - 03/19/2015 Reply with quote

Just about shit my pants when I found they were playing the Island Records showcase for SXSW!
soultosqueeze191
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess no one else from the board is coming to this..? The venue capacity is only 1000 but I plan on camping out all day to get in, so I'll do my best to post a set list and review.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man. Seems we have few concertgoers on board these days, so a review would be cool!
The Mike
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only realized this today that they were in Austin tomorrow. I saw that at La Zona Rosa back in 2007 or so. AWESOME show. Wish I would have paid attention this time!
barf
Zedeveel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish I'd have been able to make it down for this. Seem's so silly considering it's only 4 hours away. Y'all have a great time.
soultosqueeze191
The Karate Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waited all day and wound up being about 10 feet from the band. They rocked the crap out of that tiny little venue. I can't wait to see them when they come back and play a longer set.

WYWH
Anna Molly
Adolescents
NTKY
Absolution Calling
Wolves
Trustfall
Kiss
SSLW
Pardon Me
Mega
Crow

There was also a Thunderstruck snippet somewhere in there too. They sound checked a sorta remix of Anna Molly that sounded pretty cool.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consequence of Sound has a little (admittedly, a bit confusing, see highlighted sentences) review:

Quote:
From the opening notes of “Wish You Were Here” till a finale that featured a take on The Beatles’ “She’s So Heavy” tweaking on fuzz, Incubus carried themselves like they were still young guns with something to prove. Mike Einziger crashed his guitar into mic stands and the drum set, while Brandon Boyd flung around like a ragdoll come to life. Their set focused more on modern jaunts, with nothing before Morning View appearing, but even the new songs from the Trust Fall EP caused the packed house to sing along; estranged fans went to nearby roofs to catch a glimpse. Typically, instrumentalists get better with age and vocalists get worse. Incubus may have shown all their cards , but their SXSW performance showed they still have some bold tricks up their sleeves. -Dan Bogosian

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/sxsw-2015-reviews-incubus-natalie-prass-thee-oh-sees-viet-cong-and-pharmakon/2/

The band did play Pardon Me, but that's a mistake easily forgiven. The second highlighted sentence is more confusing. First he starts about aging instrumentalists vs. vocalists, but doesn't follow up on that (I assume he means that Brandon is still in shape?). The sentence: Incubus may have shown all their cards confuses me a bit too, does he mean something like: 'this is as good as it gets, but that's still worth seeing'? It would be much more logical to say that they didn't show all their cards, since this was such a short set and any semi-fan knows they have a lot more up their sleeve than just a few bold tricks at a promo-show.

All my nitpicking aside, a positive review and that's what matters.
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soultosqueeze191 wrote:
Waited all day and wound up being about 10 feet from the band. They rocked the crap out of that tiny little venue. I can't wait to see them when they come back and play a longer set.

WYWH
Anna Molly
Adolescents
NTKY
Absolution Calling
Wolves
Trustfall
Kiss
SSLW
Pardon Me
Mega
Crow

There was also a Thunderstruck snippet somewhere in there too. They sound checked a sorta remix of Anna Molly that sounded pretty cool.

The band must really love playing Kiss, or Brandon in particular must love singing it. I feel like it sounds a little naked without Quicksand as an intro.

Either way, this is a solid rocking setlist with singles.
flangeslammer
Familiar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
First he starts about aging instrumentalists vs. vocalists, but doesn't follow up on that (I assume he means that Brandon is still in shape?).

After watching the videos from SXSW and reading the review, i felt like the review was making a poorly-worded statement on the instrumentalists in incubus sounding as good as ever, while Brandon's vocals were not quite on the same level. More often than ever, i think, brandon is struggling at times live. evidence: https://youtu.be/aZx8UxhFAuw?t=3m32s

there are other moments similar to this in recent videos. if you're a reviewer at the show and brandon's voice cracks in the middle of a "quiet" part, thus accentuating the crack even further... it will likely be noticed by those there to review the show.

the band does absolutely sound fantastic in the videos this guy posted though. audio picks up Ben very well and it's so, so dirty and wonderful.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that is a painful crack, yes. But to be honest, I have yet to find a video of Absolution Calling live where Brandon sounds strong. It's a straining song it seems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> That Side of the Floor All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: