FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
Incubus-Online-View Forum Index  Log in  Register
Osaka, Japan - Dojima River Forum - 03-04-2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> That Side of the Floor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Osaka, Japan - Dojima River Forum - 03-04-2015 Reply with quote

Wish You Were Here
Anna Molly
Adolescents
Made for TV Movie
Absolution Calling
Vitamin
If Not Now, When?
Circles
Trust Fall
In the Company of Wolves
A Kiss to Send Us Off
Nice to Know You
Promises, Promises
Sick Sad Little World
Drive
Pardon Me
Megalomaniac

Punch Drunk (EDIT: Wasn't played after all, but was on the setlist)
A Crow Left of the Murder

---------------------------------------

I guess we shouldn't expect too much variation for this tour... But Punch Drunk is a nice addition.

Last edited by Jelger on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAM
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fook yes I love Punch Drunk.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setlist just got updated. The band didn't play Punch Drunk even though it was on the setlist.

HAM
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they still playing Promises? I didn't think that single did particularly well, and they're not touring for INNW anymore...
Roger
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many songs that i'd rather hear in lieu of these cuts off of INNW. Not a fan
torres
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAM wrote:
Why are they still playing Promises? I didn't think that single did particularly well, and they're not touring for INNW anymore...

Brandon must REALLY enjoy singing the song.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dropped it for the better part of 2012. Guess it is back on headline-shows, shame.
Jazz
Privileged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also didn't played Promises on the 2013 Latin American tour and i was shocked.

These setlists have been quite good. Trustfall has grown on me a lot in the past few days and i think is a great combo having circles,trustfall,wolves and kiss.
Roger
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rockers give the setlist a lot of pop (Trustfall, circles, kiss) and Trustfall has REALLY grown on me. Each clip that I hear gives me a tiny bit more insight and makes me more excited for the studio version.

Still I can't say I'd be a fan of having to hear Promises and INNW. Also Promises sounds better on the studio version IMO. Could probably do without Made for TV Movie. Just my take. Above all I'm just happy that their touring in general.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping for a little more variation, but it can always come later on tours.

These first seven shows (excluding Jimmy Kimmel) saw 22 different songs (three played once: The Warmth, Warning, Talk Shows on Mute). 10 songs were played at every show (Trust Fall, Absolution Calling (new), Pardon Me, WYWH, NTKY, Anna Molly, Megalomaniac, Adolescents (singles), ITCOW and ACLOTM (albumtracks)).
Four of the shows were festival shows.

On the first seven shows of the INNW-tour (excluding HQ, promo and TV performances) they played 35 (!) different songs (seven played once: Rogues, Agoraphobia, Stellar, When It Comes, Punch Drunk, The Original, 11am). Again 10 were played at every show (Promises, Adolescents (new at the time), Megalomaniac, WYWH, Pardon Me, Drive, NTKY, Anna Molly (singles), Circles and Consequence (albumtracks)) . Three of them were festival shows.

The fact that on both tour ten songs make it every show, and those ten are even build up in the same way (two new, six big singles, two album tracks), and they only played three songs once at a show, compared to seven last time, proves for me that these sets have been a little stale.

My point being: they used their early shows to switch around a lot more on the previous album cycle. And I think that's why these sets dissapoint me. Usually they don't settle for a, what I call, skeleton setlist (meaning it has the same structure and same rotational spots) until they hit their main US tour. I thought they would use these shows, like in 2011, to mix it up and feel which songs feel right for them. Sort of like a testcase for the big tours.

I guess my expectations were a little high, but on the headline shows this year (Melbourne, Sydney, Osaka), they rotated one spot early on in the setlist (the spot of Talk Shows On Mute in Melboure, Vitamin in Sydney and Osaka) and the spot before show closer Crow (The Warmth in Melbourne, Warning in Sydney and Punch Drunk, though not played, in Osaka). I was hoping for a little more switches.

Of course, I know this has nothing to do with the actual experience of the shows. The energy can be better (I've only read good stories so far) and the band could be playing better than in 2011. I'm sure if I would've been at any of the shows in 2015, I would've gone nuts. I shouldn't be complaining about shows I didn't go to, I'm sure the people there had a good time. However, as an outsider looking in on these shows, I'm missing the rotation.
Roger
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:
I was hoping for a little more variation, but it can always come later on tours.

These first seven shows (excluding Jimmy Kimmel) saw 22 different songs (three played once: The Warmth, Warning, Talk Shows on Mute). 10 songs were played at every show (Trust Fall, Absolution Calling (new), Pardon Me, WYWH, NTKY, Anna Molly, Megalomaniac, Adolescents (singles), ITCOW and ACLOTM (albumtracks)).
Four of the shows were festival shows.

On the first seven shows of the INNW-tour (excluding HQ, promo and TV performances) they played 35 (!) different songs (seven played once: Rogues, Agoraphobia, Stellar, When It Comes, Punch Drunk, The Original, 11am). Again 10 were played at every show (Promises, Adolescents (new at the time), Megalomaniac, WYWH, Pardon Me, Drive, NTKY, Anna Molly (singles), Circles and Consequence (albumtracks)) . Three of them were festival shows.

The fact that on both tour ten songs make it every show, and those ten are even build up in the same way (two new, six big singles, two album tracks), and they only played three songs once at a show, compared to seven last time, proves for me that these sets have been a little stale.

My point being: they used their early shows to switch around a lot more on the previous album cycle. And I think that's why these sets dissapoint me. Usually they don't settle for a, what I call, skeleton setlist (meaning it has the same structure and same rotational spots) until they hit their main US tour. I thought they would use these shows, like in 2011, to mix it up and feel which songs feel right for them. Sort of like a testcase for the big tours.

I guess my expectations were a little high, but on the headline shows this year (Melbourne, Sydney, Osaka), they rotated one spot early on in the setlist (the spot of Talk Shows On Mute in Melboure, Vitamin in Sydney and Osaka) and the spot before show closer Crow (The Warmth in Melbourne, Warning in Sydney and Punch Drunk, though not played, in Osaka). I was hoping for a little more switches.

Of course, I know this has nothing to do with the actual experience of the shows. The energy can be better (I've only read good stories so far) and the band could be playing better than in 2011. I'm sure if I would've been at any of the shows in 2015, I would've gone nuts. I shouldn't be complaining about shows I didn't go to, I'm sure the people there had a good time. However, as an outsider looking in on these shows, I'm missing the rotation.

Wow that's terrific insight/analysis

I think what irks me, at least on some smaller level, is that there are several songs which have received very little attention for some time. Many of these last surfaced at the HQ sessions or the Crow tour. Let me throw out a few and exclude Science for the band's sake (i'm sure they're over touching on most of those)

Nowhere Fast
When It Comes
Clean
Out From Under

11AM
Blood on the Ground
Mexico
Have You Ever?
Echo
Under My Umbrella

Agoraphobia
Beware Criminal (not that I really care for that one)
Southern Girl
Zee Deveel
Smile Lines
Leech

Earth to Bella (1+2)
Diamonds and Coal (not a popular one for sure)
Paper Shoes
Rogues
Pendulous Threads (played a tad on the INNW tour I think)

Would love to see a few of these in lieu of hearing Promises and INNW? as staples every night. I know they're tilting towards recency bias and all, but just saying...
Look_Alive
Human Magic Marker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelger wrote:

They've played a lot more festival shows this time around, though, haven't they? For the INNW tour, they had Hurricane and two headline shows, and all three setlists were pretty much similar, from what I recall - I think once the band come off this tour and start playing places that they do on a semi-regular/regular basis (Europe/America), we might see some more variation. Don't forget that this tour is more than likely to ease them back into playing live every night - they've got a break in between legs where they can practice songs.

Also, from what I recall, INNW? is actually a pretty decent song live... it seemed a lot more guitar-based than the studio version.

Dean Youngblood
Hot Dancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really wish everything from INNW save for Wolves/Adolescents would get the boot...

But SICK to see Punchdrunk make an appearance (kinda). Always a treat to hear live.

For me the one ex-staple that I would love to hear make a return is Make Yourself. Aside from some acoustic stints that song has been a rarity for a decade now.
Jelger
The Fly Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look_Alive wrote:

They've played a lot more festival shows this time around, though, haven't they? For the INNW tour, they had Hurricane and two headline shows, and all three setlists were pretty much similar, from what I recall - I think once the band come off this tour and start playing places that they do on a semi-regular/regular basis (Europe/America), we might see some more variation. Don't forget that this tour is more than likely to ease them back into playing live every night - they've got a break in between legs where they can practice songs.

Also, from what I recall, INNW? is actually a pretty decent song live... it seemed a lot more guitar-based than the studio version.

That's true. The main difference is not the amount of festival shows (four vs. three), but the type. In 2011 they were headliners at Southside, Hurricane and X-fest, now they were sub-headliners with an one hour-set. But I'm fairly certain I could do this analysis again after seven headline-shows and the results would be pretty much the same.

Also the first few shows in 2011 saw the return of Agoraphobia since 2004, semi-rarity Have You Ever being played at four of the seven shows, same for Under my Umbrella, included a rare performance of Rogues, saw a few surprising performances of Nowhere Fast and When it Comes.

Anyhow, they got back-to-back shows in Tokyo coming up. They are unlikely to play the same setlist at both shows, they've never done that.
Ty
Privileged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Live from Japan 2004" bootleg was recorded in Osaka on 3/5/2004. Almost 11 years to the day between these two shows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Incubus-Online-View Forum Index -> That Side of the Floor All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: